Also: Attention readers!! Next week's post will be dedicated to reader tips and wisdom -- all about cheap house cleaning! Do YOU have a tip about keeping things clean (while keeping things cheap) to share? Be sure to let me know, so that your advice can be included in next week's post!
Some Depression-era tips (for a modern apartment dweller):
- If you drink tea, use your teabag more than once before tossing it out.
- Use cloth napkins instead of always buying paper ones.
- Instead of using expensive store-bought household cleaners, use vinegar and a baking soda/water mixture for floors, countertops, and windows.
- If heat is not included in your rent (an extra expense for you), put on a sweater instead of turning up your heater.
- Also, if heat is an extra expense for you, be sure to block any drafts under your doors and windows with towels or another homemade "draft blocker" to save energy and money.
- If your heat IS included in your rent, hang your clothes to dry around your apartment rather than pay to run a dryer.
- Before giving away old clothes to the thrift store, think about what you might be able to do with them. Could a pair of pants with a hole in the knee be made into shorts? Could part of an old sheet be made into a tablecloth?